Growing women’s movement wins support from legislators

first_imgA growing women’s movement in support of the sexual violence eradication bill (RUU PKS) has encouraged more politicians to publicly and vocally support the legislation, especially following a recent uproar over the House of Representatives’ move to drop the bill – yet again – from the National Legislation Program (Prolegnas) priority list.The NasDem Party faction was the first to respond to the sidelining of the bill. NasDem Party politician Taufik Basari announced shortly after the bill’s removal from the priority list that the party would lead the effort in the House to include it in the 2021 Prolegnas. “I’m gathering support from members of other factions to support the bill, although what we need at the House is the support of the factions [in our coalition],” Taufik said on Wednesday.The bill is being contested because two parties, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) and the United Development Party (PPP), have objected to some of the provisions. The PKS argued that the bill supported the legalization of adultery and nontraditional sexual orientations, such lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) identities, an accusation denied by supporters of the bill.The PPP opposed criminal sentences for domestic sexual violence, saying the bill should not punish a husband who forced his wife to have sex.So far, no parties beyond NasDem have announced their support for the bill. However, some members of the government coalition who had for years pushed for the House to pass the bill have voiced their support for NasDem’s initiative. One of these people is Diah Pitaloka of the ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P). “The PDI-P has consistently supported [the bill] from the beginning. No need to lobby us anymore. We give it our full support,” Diah told The Jakarta Post on Friday.In the previous legislative term, only two factions supported the bill: the PDI-P and the Gerindra Party. At the time, Gerindra had Rahayu Saraswati Djojohadikusumo, who, with Diah, pushed other factions in Commission VIII to support the bill.In the current term, amid changes to the political map and the membership of the House, support for the bill has increased. The NasDem Party and certain members of the Golkar Party and the Islam-based Nation Awakening Party (PKB) have voiced their support for the bill. The last two factions did not support the bill in the previous term.Golkar’s Nurul Arifin and new lawmaker Christina Ariyani, Taufik said, were two female members of the Golkar faction who had communicated with him. “I hope they will ask the factions to support the bill. NasDem can’t be the only one,” he said.Christina, however, told the Post that she was still unsure whether Golkar would officially support the bill, despite its female members’ support for the bill. “I don’t know about the faction itself, but many of the female members are supporting it,” she said.PKB’s Marwan Dasopang said his faction was not against the bill, saying the exclusion of the bill from the 2020 priority list was a result of difficulties in arranging the bill’s deliberation.The deputy chairman of House Commission VIII overseeing social affairs, who previously handled the bill’s deliberation, said the lawmakers were just as divided over the bill as they were in the previous term.“However, the PKB supports the deliberation of the bill on next year’s priority list. The PKB wants the bill to be added in the 2021 Prolegnas. It’s just that the commission doesn’t have much time to resolve it this year,” he said.Many supporters of the bill, which has been under consideration since 2016, have criticized its continued postponement.According to a public debate analysis by big data consulting firm Drone Emprit released on July 3, more women had expressed their disappointment about the postponement on Twitter than usual. Normally, men tended to be more vocal.”The SNA [Social Network Analysis] of the RUU PKS discussion shows that the social media sphere [in this instance] isn’t just filled with the people who usually influence trending topics. Many who are not usually vocal have appeared to voice their concerns,” the study found.Before responding to the bill’s removal, social media users were debating the fraught Pancasila Ideology Guidelines (HIP) bill, which was criticized for controversial articles and what some members of the public called insignificant objectives.”The debate over the RUU PKS defeats the trend of the HIP bill, which had a relatively large opposition. This indicated that the public’s attention on the RUU PKS is also very high,” the firm wrote.NasDem’s Taufik said his faction would be the facilitator of the women’s movement at the House, noting it aligned with the party’s relatively large representation of women in the 2019 general elections.“The party’s external and internal policies have sided with the women’s movement. We have the largest number of female representatives in the House. We also did the same thing to the party structure from the central to the subdistrict level. In the 2019 elections, our female legislative candidates reached 50 percent [of the party’s total candidates] in some areas, such as in Pringsewu regency, Lampung,” he said.Taufik added that the bill would not pose a significant political risk to the party provided lawmakers and activists could explain its policies effectively to those who opposed it.Feminist activist Olin Monteiro reminded lawmakers and other groups not to forget the initial draft proposed by activists in 2014, which was supported by female lawmakers during the House’s previous term, including Diah and Nurul.”Whoever the initiator of the bill is, I hope there will be no new draft and that the lawmakers will always communicate with us. We could, of course, change and fix the language of the draft bill, but we don’t want to have a new one,” she said.Achmad Baidowi of the PPP said the party had yet to decide its stance on the bill, noting it would focus on addressing the bills on this year’s list for the time being. “Later. We’re still focusing on the 2020 Prolegnas,” he said.Topics :last_img read more

NHV Group picks new chief executive officer

first_imgThe NHV Group, a helicopter services provider, has named a new chief executive officer of the company.NHV’s AS-365N-2 Dauphin 2 helicopter; Image by: Booris~enwiki; Source: WIkimedia – under the CC BY-SA 3.0 licenseNHV Group said on Thursday that Steffen Bay was named as the new company’s chief executive officer (CEO).Steffen Bay previously served as the company’s chief commercial officer. He will replace former CEO and co-founder Eric Van Hal.Yves-Louis Darricarrère, president of NHV’s board of directors, said: “Steffen brings a wealth of commercial and corporate experience to the role of CEO from his successful 20-year career across all aspects of the helicopter services value chain.“His expertise and decisiveness, combined with an unwavering commitment to safety, and relentless focus on competitiveness make him a great fit for NHV and uniquely qualified to move the company forward.”Steffen Bay recently joined NHV Group after having held several leadership positions at Waypoint Leasing, ERA Helicopters, and Airbus Helicopters.Regarding his appointment, Bay said: “I am excited and honored to be the new CEO of the NHV Group. I look forward to serving NHV’s loyal clients and business partners and to working with NHV’s skilled and committed teams to continue to deliver outstanding and safe operations.”last_img read more

Offshore Wind Conference 2019: Update NL

first_imgHow will offshore wind play its part in the energy transition? Find out during Offshore Wind Conference 2019. This animation delves into the session Update NL.This session offers an update on the developments in the Dutch offshore wind industry regarding innovations, technology and policy, and is intended for foreign delegates who would like to become updated on the latest in offshore wind in the Netherlands. With a contribution from Keld Bennetsen, Project Director at Vattenfall.Offshore Wind Conference will be taking place on 7 and 8 October 2019 during Offshore Energy 2019 in the Amsterdam RAI, the Netherlands.View the program HERE and secure your seat to find out how offshore wind plays its part in the energy transition.last_img read more

West Florida Clinches GSC Tournament Berth

first_imgWest Florida Clinches GSC Tournament Berth Share HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – West Florida (33-23, 13-10) earned their 13th-consecutive GSC tournament bid with a 6-4 win over 10th-ranked Alabama-Huntsville on Sunday afternoon at the Chargers softball complex.Emily Burge (Pace, Fla./ Pace HS) picked up her 15th victory of the season in the Argonauts third-straight win third-straight win. West Florida collected 11 hits in the game en route to the win.Stay tuned to goargos.com for a complete recap later this afternoon. Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more

Owen lays into Toon

first_img The 33-year-old former England international announced on Monday that he will retire from football at the end of the season. The striker spoke about his career on BBC’s Football Focus, where, amongst other things, he spoke about his four injury-hit years with Newcastle before he left to join Manchester United on a free transfer after the Magpies were relegated. But the striker took to Twitter to defend himself, as he tweeted: “Newcastle fans, following my Football Focus interview, plenty of you tweeting me saying you don’t blame me for getting injured but for leaving when we got relegated. Despite the club saying they did, they didn’t ever offer me a new contract despite them putting it in the press that they did.” He added: “How could they when they had just been relegated? It would have been financial suicide. “I’ve seen it a million times, a club will blatantly lie to their fans to take the moral high ground leaving the player with no leg to stand on. “I’ve taken the stick for years which is fine but you really don’t know half of it. All will be revealed one day.” Michael Owen has accused former club Newcastle of lying about offering him a new deal in 2009.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

McClaren’s warning to Southampton

first_img McClaren said: “Southampton had a good season last season and they got into Europe but I think that will hinder them as the season goes on. “But does it at the beginning? I don’t think so, because they have started their competitive games earlier and they have got into that rhythm.” McClaren knows enough about his opposite number Koeman from his time in Holland not to under-estimate the threat posed by Saints despite their loss of key players Nathaniel Clyne and Morgan Schneiderlin. Southampton recovered impressively from a wholesale exodus of first-team players at the start of last season. And McClaren added: “Of course they can do it again – they have lost a few players this summer but they have brought some more in. “He (Koeman) always builds good teams. He came to Southampton when they were losing key players and everyone was thinking it was all going to crumble, and he came in and adapted quickly. “I think they were the surprise team of last year, not so much in where they finished but in the way they played the game, so there is no doubt we have got a tough start.” McClaren must decide whether to risk new boys Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba who are short on match-fitness, while captain Fabricio Coloccini is struggling to recover from an Achilles knock. The Magpies boss has acknowledged Ronald Koeman’s men will travel north well-prepared for the season opener after easing past Dutch side Vitesse in their latest qualifying round on Thursday. But McClaren is less convinced by the long-term implications of such a busy early-season schedule once the full effects of the Premier League campaign kick in. Steve McClaren has warned Southampton that success in the Europa League could come back to haunt them ahead of the Saints’ trip to face Newcastle at St James’ Park on Sunday. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

KKR destroy Daredevils to further prove title credentials

first_imgGAUTAM Gambhir and Robin Uthappa continued their stellar IPL form as Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) made light work of Delhi Daredevils.KKR strengthened their position at the IPL’s summit as Gautam Gambhir and Robin Uthappa continued their excellent form in a seven-wicket thrashing of Delhi Daredevils.The pair – the leading two run-scorers in this year’s competition – enjoyed a second-wicket stand of 108 as KKR made light work of chasing down 161 for victory at Eden Gardens yesterday.Captain Gambhir made his fourth half-century of 2017 with an unbeaten 71 from 52 balls, while Uthappa has also passed fifty on four occasions thanks to his 59 off 33.It looked as though the hosts would be chasing a much larger total as bottom side Delhi reached 123-1 inside 14 overs thanks to 60 from opener Sanju Samson and Shreyas Iyer’s 47.But Nathan Coulter-Nile (3-34), Sunil Narine (1-25) and Kuldeep Yadav (0-27) restricted them to 160-6, a total that was swiftly put into perspective by Gambhir and Uthappa as KKR cruised home with 3.4 overs to spare.The leaders ought to have been chasing more after Samson and Iyer put on 75 for the second wicket, but once the former departed after striking four fours and three sixes in his 38-ball stay, momentum seeped out of the innings, with only one boundary coming in the last four overs.Narine’s pinch-hitting did not come off for KKR on this occasion, the West Indian was cleaned up by Kagiso Rabada in the second over, before Gambhir and Uthappa took centre stage.Uthappa escaped on nine when Samson and Amit Mishra left a high ball to each other and he made the most of that reprieve, clubbing Chris Morris for 16 runs from the first three deliveries of the eighth over.He was eventually run-out by Karun Nair’s direct hit from backward point, but the game had long drifted away from Delhi by that stage, Gambhir was able to lead his side to their seventh victory from nine this season.last_img read more

Andre Ayew appreciates Cape Coast for Ghana support

first_imgBlack Stars captain, Andre Ayew, was in thankful mode on Friday as he expressed his love and appreciation for the people of Cape Coast after Ghana beat South Africa 2-0 in the AFCON 2021 Qualifiers.The Swansea City forward led Ghana in the match at the Cape Coast Stadium and he and his team mates played in front of a packed ground.The team got a very positive reception when they arrived in the Central Region on Tuesday and the love was sustained from then until the day of the match and that was not lost on Ayew.He took to Twitter to thank the fans and show gratitude for their backing. Ayew and his team mates will now head to Sao Tome and Principe for the second and final qualifier for 2019.last_img read more

Rose Bowl: Parris Campbell on what LeBron James means to Akron natives

first_imgPreviousWide receiver Parris Campbell of Ohio State talks with reporters at Rose Bowl Media Day in Pasadena, Calif. on Dec. 30, 2018. (Photo by James H. Williams/SCNG)Wide receiver Parris Campbell of Ohio State talks with reporters at Rose Bowl Media Day in Pasadena, Calif. on Dec. 30, 2018. (Photo by James H. Williams/SCNG) SoundThe gallery will resume insecondsWide receiver Parris Campbell of Ohio State talks with reporters at Rose Bowl Media Day in Pasadena, Calif. on Dec. 30, 2018. (Photo by James H. Williams/SCNG)Ohio State wide reciever Parris Campbell answers questions during a media event for Rose Bowl players and coaches at Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, CA, on Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG)Ohio State wide reciever Parris Campbell, center, joins teammates after a media event for Rose Bowl players and coaches at Disney California Adventure in Anaheim, CA, on Wednesday, Dec 26, 2018. (Photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG)Wide receiver Parris Campbell of Ohio State talks with reporters at Rose Bowl Media Day in Pasadena, Calif. on Dec. 30, 2018. (Photo by James H. Williams/SCNG)NextShow Caption1 of 5Wide receiver Parris Campbell of Ohio State talks with reporters at Rose Bowl Media Day in Pasadena, Calif. on Dec. 30, 2018. (Photo by James H. Williams/SCNG)ExpandDuring the 2011 NBA lockout, LeBron James found different ways to keep busy. One was to go back to his high school in Akron, St. Vincent-St. Mary, and practice with the football team.There, he first met Parris Campbell, who would later go on to play for James’ favorite college football team, Ohio State. The two have stayed in close contact since then, with the Lakers star going on Twitter to congratulate Campbell after big performances.It’s not something that the wide receiver Campbell, in Pasadena with the Buckeyes for the Rose Bowl, takes for granted.Related Articles UCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers NCAA cancels fall championships, although some football conferences march on Alexander: Was there more to Pac-12 delay than health and safety? USC hires Hall of Fame coach J.T. Higgins to lead men’s golf program Pac-12 basketball: Start delayed but creative plans in place for navigating a Covid-19 world AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersThe friendship turned into a mentorship during Campbell’s freshman year at Ohio State. He was transitioning from running back to wide receiver, and was growing frustrated by the position change.Campbell ran into James at a St. Vincent-St. Mary basketball game, and the three-time NBA champion offered Campbell some advice.“He just always told me to never give up on myself and to continue to be great; that I had greatness all around me and continue to blossom,” Campbell recalled. “So put the work in and never give up.”After that, Campbell developed into one of Ohio State’s top receivers. He was named to the All-Big Ten first team after a senior season in which he made 79 receptions for 992 yards and 11 touchdowns, all career highs.After Campbell’s breakout 147-yard, two-touchdown performance against Tulane in September, James was quick to react on Twitter.“I [see] you today lil bro!!” James tweeted at Campbell. “Keep shining #OH #GoBucks #AkronBoys.” “It means a lot, just because two kids from the same area, grew up experiencing the same things, went to the same high school, it’s huge,” the senior Campbell said. “Just being a kid from Akron, everyone there looks up to him, wants to do the things that he’s done. I have an opportunity to go on a different stage, the NFL, try to continue some of those things he’s given back to the city.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more