Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) MGN ImageTALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he is issuing an executive order mandating that anyone arriving on a flight from New York City and the surrounding area submit to self-quarantine for two weeks as he tries to avoid issuing a statewide shutdown similar to other states.DeSantis said in an address from his Tallahassee office that more than 100 such flights arrive daily in Florida and he believes each contains at least one person infected with the new coronavirus.He said he has been in contact with federal officials about curtailing such flights, but has not yet received a response. He said arriving passengers will be screened by health officials and law enforcement and told they must self-quarantine. He said those travelers will not be allowed to stay with family or friends, because that is one way the virus is spread.He did not say specifically how the self-quarantine would be enforced, but Florida law says it is a second-degree misdemeanor to violate a quarantine order that could result in a 60-day jail sentence. “It is actually a criminal offense if you violate the quarantine orders, so people can be held accountable here in the State of Florida if they buck the law,” DeSantis said.He said earlier that he spoke about the issue Sunday night with President Donald Trump, who recently changed his official residence from Manhattan to his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach.Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach in particular have a close relationship with New York City, earning South Florida the nickname “The Sixth Borough” to complement Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. Many residents are transplants from that area — New York Yankee baseball games are even broadcast on local radio. This is the time of year many transplants’ families visit.Asked about the order at a news conference, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said “I understand it. We are the epicenter.” But he said he has mixed feelings about travel restrictions in general. “I’m not sure it’s the most enlightened approach.”He noted that many Floridians have “deep, deep” ties to New York, saying, “I’m sure a lot of people in Florida are going to be put off by it.”As of Monday evening, more than 1,200 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in Florida and 17 have died, an increase of four since Sunday.State officials did not immediately return calls Monday evening seeking information on how many of those diagnosed in Florida recently arrived or returned from New York or had contact with someone who did.DeSantis also said Monday he wants to avoid imposing a statewide lockdown like California, New York and other states have done, saying he still believes targeting the counties hardest hit by the virus for the most extreme measures is preferable.DeSantis said about a third of Florida’s 67 counties have no confirmed cases and another third have few, so he doesn’t yet see the need to impose a near shutdown on their businesses that have been imposed in large counties such as Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach where the disease has spread into the community. Most of the counties with few or no infections are smaller ones along the state’s northern limits or surrounding Lake Okeechobee.“It would be a very blunt instrument. When you’re ordering people to shelter in place you are consigning a number – probably hundreds of thousands of Floridians to lose their jobs,” DeSantis said. “You’re throwing their lives potentially into disarray, and if that were something necessary statewide because the health comes first, that would be one thing. But if you look at Florida’s situation right now, this is not a virus that’s impacting every corner of the state.”He said states that have issued orders to stay home have seen large numbers of residents refusing to comply.“New York City, it’s like the party never ended — you’ve got people congregating all over the place,” DeSantis said. He said such people realize ”a governor is not going to start imprisoning people just because they leave their house.”DeSantis has ordered such statewide closures as bars and gyms and limited restaurants to takeout and delivery. Some counties have gone farther, closing not only nonessential businesses but also beaches, marinas and parks. State parks have been closed.Some Florida Democrats are calling on the Republican governor to impose a statewide stay-at-home order.The virus causes only minor flu-like symptoms in most people, who recover in a matter of weeks. But it is highly contagious and can cause severe illness or death in some patients, particularly the elderly and those with existing health problems.
Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Image via the ‘First Presidential Debate’ video pool feed.WASHINGTON – The second presidential debate will be held virtually, the Commission on Presidential Debates announced Thursday morning in the wake of President Donald Trump’s positive test for COVID-19.“The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which the candidates would participate from separate remote locations,” the commission said in a statement.The town meeting participants and the moderator, Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer & Political Editor, C-SPAN Networks, will be located at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County in Miami, Florida.President Trump tested positive for coronavirus last week. Biden this week said he and Trump “shouldn’t have a debate” as long as the president remains COVID positive.Biden told reporters in Pennsylvania that he was “looking forward to being able to debate him” but said “we’re going to have to follow very strict guidelines.”Vice President Mike Pence and Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris debated in person on Wednesday night, albeit separated by a plexiglass partition.The second presidential debate is scheduled to be held on October 15.
Image by Bowman Gum / MGN Online.LONG ISLAND — The New York Yankee’s all-time winningest pitcher and Hall of Famer, Whitey Ford, died Thursday night at his Long Island home.The cause Ford’s death was not released by the family or the Yankees organization.Edward Charles Ford was born Oct 21, 1928, and grew up in Queens. He made his major league debut for the Yankees in 1950 and spent his entire career with the team.Ford posted a record of 236-106 during a career that spanned 16 seasons. He went 10-8 in 11 World Series. He was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1974. Over the course of his career he was named to 10 All-Star teams, won three pitcher of the year awards, a Cy Young Award and a Most Valuable Player Award. At the end of his career, Ford topped out at a salary of $60,000 per year. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
MGN ImageJAMESTOWN – Worldwide 2020 was a year that will likely be featured in history books, and our local area was not immune to the flood of news. The following is a look back at the year based on your viewership:#12: Longtime Police Chief RetiresAfter 24 years of keeping ‘law and order’ in the City of Jamestown, longtime police chief Harry Snellings retired this year.Jamestown Police Chief To Retire Next Month#11: Resources For Those In NeedIn an attempt to help those struggling with addiction, Chautauqua County leaders set up a new website to connect the community to recovery resources.Chautauqua County Launches New Website To Help Combat Addiction#10: Wild WeatherWeather in Western New York is usually on the top of minds of many, and this year was no different. From tornadic activity to wild winter weather, our area felt mother nature’s full force this year.Weather Service Confirms Tornado Touchdown In Chautauqua County#9: Search For Youths Deemed A HoaxA springtime search for two youths who reportedly fell into the Cattaraugus Creek in Gowanda was been deemed a hoax after first responders scoured the area for hours.Search For Youths Who Fell Into Cattaraugus Creek Deemed A Hoax#8: Seven-Year-Old Girl Dies In Motor Vehicle AccidentA seven-year-old girl died following a multi-vehicle accident on Route 60 in February after her car was struck by a man allegedly under the influence of drugs.Police Identify Seven-Year-Old Killed In Route 60 Crash#7: Change In County DA’s OfficeIn what was one of the biggest races in Chautauqua County on Election Night, Republican Jason Schmidt defeated incumbent Democrat DA Patrick Swanson to become the county’s next top prosecutor.Schmidt Projected Winner Of Chautauqua County District Attorney Race#6: Businesses Close Because Of PandemicFrom local restaurants to area manufacturers, 2020 has been a tough year for business, even with federal help for one local plant staying in business was not a reality.Falconer Truck-Lite Plant To Close#5: Fatal StabbingA Chautauqua County Grand Jury indicted a Jamestown man in connection with an August stabbing of a 23-year-old man.Jamestown Man Indicted In Connection With July Fatal Stabbing#4: Three Killed In Plane CrashThree Northern Pennsylvania residents were killed in a plane crash near the Jamestown airport last month. No official cause has been released yet, although law enforcement says the plane likely crashed because of winter weather.Searchers Find Crash Site Of Missing Plane Near Airport, Victims Identified#3: Local Leaders Push Regional Re-OpenAfter a month’s long shutdown on “non-essential” businesses across New York State, local representatives got the ear of New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo who moved forward with their plan to reopen the state regionally.State To Re-Open With Regional Approach After Local Leaders Push Plan#2: Black Lives MatterDemand for law enforcement reform led to dialog between police and protestors during a Black Lives Matter demonstration late May in Jamestown. Protests like this lead to change in policing policies around the nation, which will likely be felt throughout the coming year.Dialog Between Police, Protestors Heard During Black Lives Matter Demonstration#1: COVID-19’s ImpactIn what isn’t a surprise to many, COVID-19’s impact was the most viewed story on WNY News Now this year. From the community-wide shutdowns, to first official cases, the area felt the pandemic’s pain both medically speaking and financially.Officials Confirm Two Cases Of Novel Coronavirus In Chautauqua CountyShare your memories of the past year on social media with #YearInReview. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Joseph Leo Bwarie and Nick Cosgrove are ready to have your eyes adore them! Bwarie and Cosgrove will assume the role of The Four Seasons frontman Frankie Valli in the Broadway cast of Jersey Boys beginning January 28. They are taking over for Dominic Scaglione Jr., who will play his final performance on January 26 at the August Wilson Theatre. Richard H. Blake Drew Gehling Jersey Boys View Comments Related Shows from $59.00 The Tony-winning musical tells the story of how Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons went from being unknown New Jersey kids to international pop superstars. The show features over 30 hit songs, including “Sherry,” “Big Girls Don’t Cry” and “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.” View All (5) In addition to Scaglione Jr., the current Broadway cast stars Richard H. Blake as Tommy DeVito, Matt Bogart as Nick Massi and Drew Gehling as Bob Gaudio. The company also features Peter Gregus, Miles Aubrey, Erik Bates, Candi Boyd, Jared Bradshaw, Cara Cooper, Ken Dow, John Edwards, Russell Fischer, Katie O’Toole, Joe Payne, Mauricio Pérez, Nathan Scherich, Sara Schmidt and Katie Webber. Matt Bogart Bwarie, who will play Frankie Valli six times a week, made his Broadway debut in the show last year and has previously played the role in the Las Vegas and first national tour productions. Cosgrove, who will be making his Broadway debut, played the legendary falsetto powerhouse across the country in the show’s national tour. He will perform the Wednesday and Saturday matinees. Joseph Leo Bwarie Dominic Scaglione Jr. Star Files
Things are looking up! We can stop crying into our Champagne over Neil Patrick Harris choosing to be a serious Broadway actor (in glitter and fishnets) in Hedwig and the Angry Inch instead of hosting the Tonys because Hugh Jackman is coming back! The Tony-winning Aussie will host the 68th Annual Tony Awards on June 8 at Radio City Music Hall. The telecast will be broadcast live on CBS. View Comments Oh, and come on. You know you want to see this again and again! (So good!) This will be the fourth outing as host for Jackman, who won the 2004 Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical for The Boy from Oz. He previously hosted the the ceremony from 2004 to 2006, and won an Emmy Award for hosting in 2005. Click below to see the actor tell you the news himself!
Suzanne Bertish Star Files View Comments Related Shows Tony nominees David Pittu and Suzanne Bertish are to star in Tony nominee David Ives’ The Heir Apparent, adapted from the play by Jean-François Regnard. Directed by John Rando, the show will begin performances March 28 at the Classic Stage Company and play a limited engagement through May 4. Opening night is set for April 9. The Heir Apparent Ives received a Tony nod for Venus In Fur. The Heir Apparent will feature set design by Tony winner John Lee Beatty, costumes by David C. Woolard, lighting design by Japhy Weideman and sound design by Nevin Steinberg. Show Closed This production ended its run on May 11, 2014 Joining Pittu (Is He Dead) as Scruple and Bertish (Machinal) as Madame Argante, will be Carson Elrod (Peter And The Starcatcher) as Crispin, Claire Karpen as Lisette, Amelia Pedlow as Isabelle, Dave Quay as Eraste and Paxton Whitehead (The Importance of Being Earnest) as Geronte. Meet young Eraste. He has it all: good looks, a beautiful fiancée, and a huge inheritance from an ancient uncle. There’s just one little problem: the uncle won’t die and he’s bequeathed his entire fortune to a distant relative. Oh, and did we mention the uncle also intends to marry Eraste’s fiancée? What’s a fine 18th-century fellow to do? What else but enlist the aid of his resourceful servant, Crispin, who could “out-Figaro” Figaro.
Related Shows View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on April 27, 2014 The Library The Library tells the story of Caitlin Gabriel (Moretz), a survivor of a deadly high school shooting. She struggles to tell her story to her parents, the authorities or anyone who will listen. But there are other narratives that gain purchase in the media and paint her in a different light. The drama asks us to examine our relationship to the truth and the lies that claim to heal us. Moretz is joined by Emmy nominee Lili Taylor, Tony nominee Jennifer Westfeldt, Ben Livingston, Michael O’Keefe, Daryl Sabara, David Townsend and Tamara Tunie. The world premiere of Scott Z. Burns’ The Library opens officially on April 15 at The Public’s Newman Theater. The production, starring Chloë Graze Moretz and directed by Oscar winner Steven Soderbergh, will run through April 27.
The Village Bike In addition to Gerwig and Harner, the cast of The Village Bike features Max Baker, Lucy Owen, Cara Seymour and Scott Shepherd. The Village Bike follows Becky (Gerwig), a pregnant woman who can’t seem to get the attention of her husband while preoccupied with preparing for the baby’s months-away arrival. Becky takes the matters into her own hands and sets out on an adventure that starts with the purchase of a used bike from a man in town and takes her further than she ever expected she’d go. View Comments Related Shows Hop on! The American premiere of Penelope Skinner’s The Village Bike begins performances on May 22. Under the direction of Sam Gold, the MCC production stars Greta Gerwig and Jason Butler Harner. The play, which is set to open on June 10, will run through June 28 at the Lucille Lortel Theatre. Show Closed This production ended its run on July 13, 2014
Gyllenhaal, Payne and Longhurst will reunite after working together on the American premiere of If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet in 2012 off-Broadway. Constellations marks the Great White Way debuts of all three artists. Additional casting and creative team will be announced shortly. Jake Gyllenhaal Related Shows Constellations tells the story of one relationship with infinite possibilities. It explores the boundless potential of a first encounter, free will and friendship. The play opened at the Royal Court’s Jerwood Theatre Upstairs in 2012, directed by Longhurst, before transferring to the West End. Gyllenhaal made his New York stage debut in If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet and starred in the revival of Kenneth Lonergan’s This is Our Youth in London’s West End in 2002. He earned an Oscar nomination for his performance in Brokeback Mountain and his additional film credits include Prisoners, Enemy, Source Code, Love and Other Drugs, End of Watch, Donnie Darko and the upcoming Nightcrawler and Everest. Star Files View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on March 15, 2015 Constellations Oscar nominee Jake Gyllenhaal will headline the American premiere of Nick Payne’s Constellations. Under the direction of Michael Longhurst, the Manhattan Theatre Club and Royal Court Theatre production will begin performances on December 16 at MTC’s Samuel J. Friedman Theatre. Opening night is set for January 13, 2015.