The far-right leader has urged businesses to wage “war” on state governors who order business closures, arguing they are needlessly hurting Latin America’s biggest economy. Experts say under-testing in Brazil means the real numbers are probably much higher.The latest figures underlined the grim toll the virus is taking in Latin America, the latest epicenter in the pandemic.Brazil, a country of 210 million people, has been the hardest-hit in the region.President Jair Bolsonaro has fiercely criticized coronavirus stay-at-home measures, even as the number of infections and deaths continues to soar. Brazil’s death toll from the novel coronavirus has surged past 34,000 to become the third-highest in the world, surpassing Italy’s, according to official figures released Thursday.The South American country reported a new record of 1,473 deaths in 24 hours, bringing its overall toll to 34,021, behind only the United States and Britain.Brazil has now confirmed 614,941 infections, the health ministry said — the second-largest caseload in the world, behind the US. Topics :
The 20-year-old resident Alfred Barrioswas served a bench warrant on Wednesday. ILOILO City – Police arrested a drugsuspect in Barangay Lumbia, Estancia, Iloilo after he failed to appear in courtfor a hearing. He wasdetained in the custodial facility of the Estancia police station. Barrios faces charges for violation of Republic Act 9165, or the ComprehensiveDangerous Drugs Act of 2002. The court recommended no bail bond for Barrios’temporarily liberty./PN
THE Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) and the government of Trinidad & Tobago have come to an agreement for the whole of the 2020 season to be played in that country.The tournament will run from Tuesday, August 18 to Thursday, September 10.The CPL will have a full season and will feature overseas and Caribbean players with the standard higher than it has ever been with the likes of Rashid Khan, Chris Lynn, Carlos Brathwaite, Dwayne Bravo, Alex Hales and Kieron Pollard all set to take part.Last year’s CPL had a combined broadcast and digital viewership of 312 million and with the tournament being the first franchise T20 event to take place in several months there will be more interest than ever.The CPL have worked with the Trinidad & Tobago Ministry of Health and CPL’s own board of medical advisors to create protocols which minimise risk of transmission of the COVID-19 virus to the population of Trinidad and amongst those who will be travelling to Trinidad & Tobago from overseas.All teams and officials will be housed in one hotel and everyone will be subject to strict quarantine protocols for the first two weeks they are in the country. Everyone travelling from overseas will be tested for COVID-19, before departure and then again on arrival in Trinidad.Teams and officials will be put into “households” where social distancing will need to be in place. There will be smaller clusters within each household where these measures can be relaxed.However, if any member of this cluster displays signs of COVID-19 at any time during the tournament all members of that cluster will be expected to self-isolate for a period of 14 days from the time that a member of that group first shows symptoms.All members of the CPL party will be subject to regular temperature checks and will be re-tested for the virus throughout their stay in Trinidad and again before departure.Pete Russell, COO of Hero CPL, said: “We would like to express our gratitude and thanks to The Hon. Dr Keith Rowley, Prime Minister of Trinidad & Tobago, The Hon. Shamfa Cudjoe, Minister for Sport and Youth Affairs, The Hon. Terrence Deyalsingh, Minister for Health, Dr Roshan Parasram, Chief Medical Officer for Trinidad & Tobago, Douglas Camacho, Chairman of Sport TT and their respective ministries and organisations for their support and guidance in making this all possible.“We are really excited to bring high class cricket to the Caribbean and to the rest of the world. The standard of players involved in this year’s tournament will be higher than ever and we can’t wait to get the tournament under way.”
And former Italy boss Conte’s first game was against his hometown club Lecce, the team where he started his playing career, and who are back in Serie A after seven years.The sideshow surrounding former Inter captain Mauro Icardi continued with the Argentine not named on the bench.Inter director Giuseppe Marotta insisted there was no room in the club for the forward, with the transfer window closing on September 2.Icardi has rejected moves away from the San Siro despite being frozen out of the team and stripped of the captain’s armband last season amid a protracted contract dispute.Icardi’s wife Wanda Nara, who is also his agent, said he wants to remain at Inter and had been told to stay by senior club bosses.“We greeted Wanda Nara’s comments with a bit of irritation, both for the timing and the method,” Marotta told sports broadcaster DAZN before Monday’s game.“I absolutely deny that any of the club management, and in particular (president) Steven Zhang, have invited Icardi to stay.”Share on: WhatsApp – Icardi ‘irritates’ –Conte’s arrival at Chinese-owned Inter has raised expectations of a first Serie A title since 2010.The former Juventus and Chelsea boss took over from Luciano Spalletti who secured Champions League football with a fourth-place finish last season.The 50-year-old’s coaching credentials include three Serie A titles with Juventus from 2012 to 2014, and the Premier League with Chelsea in 2017. Lukaku scores as Conte’s Inter reign starts in styleMilan, Italy | AFP | Belgian forward Romelu Lukaku scored on his Inter Milan debut as new coach Antonio Conte’s reign got off to a perfect start with a 4-0 win over promoted Lecce on Monday.“There was a spark, but now we must become dynamite,” said Conte as he begins his campaign to topple eight-time holders Juventus.Lukaku — a 65 million euros ($73 million) summer signing from Manchester United — scored the third goal on the hour mark at the San Siro.A blunder by Lecce goalkeeper Gabriel parried the ball into the path of Lautaro Martinez allowing Lukaku to finish off.The 26-year-old turned and took a bow in front of the jubilant Inter fans among the 65,000 crowd.“Lukaku entered the world of Inter in the best way, with great humility,” said Conte.“He’s a gentle giant, a giant with a smile. He is ready to work for the team. But not only Romelu, Lautaro also played very well.”Croatian Marcelo Brozovic had opened the scoring after 21 minutes with a powerful strike for his 15th goal in his sixth season with Inter.But another new signing Stefano Sensi, a summer loan from Sassuolo, also found a way through three minutes later.Lecce played the last quarter of an hour a man down after Brazilian Diego Farias saw red in his first game for a studs on tackle on his former Cagliari teammate Nicolo Barella.Antonio Candreva blasted in the fourth goal on 84 minutes, allowing Inter to match champions Juventus and runners-up Napoli who both won their opening league matches at the weekend.Juventus beat Parma 1-0, with Napoli edging a seven-goal thriller at Fiorentina 4-3.“We started off well with the right intensity and desire, respecting the idea of what I wanted,” said Conte.“Then at 2-0 I didn’t like what I saw from the lads. Too relaxed, losing intensity under pressure.“We need to improve both mentally and physically but I am very happy and satisfied, I like working with these guys who have always shown great commitment.“Let’s celebrate until midnight, from tomorrow we think of Cagliari, it will be a difficult trip,” he added of next weekend’s game in Sardinia.
England Golf’s first innovation conference, #MoreThanGolf, is a sell out among golf industry representatives who aim to plan for a bright future. The conference, at Villa Park next Tuesday, will showcase new ideas and innovative ways to develop the game. There will be a special focus on how golf clubs can grow by becoming hubs for their communities. It has attracted delegates from across the spectrum, including golf club representatives, PGA professionals, industry governing bodies and commercial golf organisations ranging from businesses involved in golf marketing to multi-course operators. Iain Lancaster, England Golf’s Club Engagement Manager, said: “This is the first time we’ve organised anything like this and the response has been fantastic. “It’s clear that there’s a huge appetite for new ideas and ways to create stronger businesses by reaching out to new markets.” A range of speakers will inspire clubs to try fresh approaches and to learn more about the contribution golf can make to public health and social good. Topics will also include new and shorter formats of the game and the European Tour’s Fredrik Lindgren will talk about the impact of Super Sixes while Pam Painter of British Speedgolf will provide a case study. The keynote speakers are Svend Elkjaer, who works with England Golf on the #MoreThanGolf innovation project, and Maria Nolan, general manager of Hollingbury Park and Waterhall Golf Clubs in Sussex. Svend is the director of Sports Marketing Network, a consultancy and information provider which works to develop vibrant, visible and viable community sport. He will highlight the benefits of golf clubs working for and with communities and will explain the simple steps they can take to broaden their scope and enjoy the benefits. Maria will share tips and advice on the initiatives which helped Hollingbury Park Golf Course to win the category for Strongest Community Engagement at the recent 2017 England Golf Awards. Among the other speakers are Nick Pink, the England Golf Chief Executive, and representatives of UK Active and Oxygen Trampoline Parks. A range of case studies will also be presented. 7 Jun 2017 #MoreThanGolf conference is a sell out
[singlepic id=1012 w= h= float=none]The federal government has approved $5.75 million in funding to repair serious Superstorm Sandy damage to the Bray Avenue Bridge in Middletown and the Romer Shoal Lighthouse off Sandy Hook, Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. (NJ-6) announced Monday.The Bray Avenue Bridge, which was originally denied significant funding, will be replaced, and repairs will be made to Romer Shoal Lighthouse, Pallone said.“The closure of Bray Avenue Bridge for over two years now has greatly inconvenienced Middletown residents and commuters,” said Congressman Pallone in a written statement. “I am glad that FEMA has finally recognized the need to make these investments so that our community can continue to rebuild and get back to normal.”An initial $2 million in federal funding will go to Monmouth County Public Works to replace the Bray Avenue Bridge in Middletown, NJ. The Bray Avenue Bridge has been closed since Superstorm Sandy hit and post-Sandy investigations revealed that, due to damage from the storm, the bridge was no longer safe for traffic. Monmouth County applied to FEMA for funding assistance to repair the bridge, but were denied any significant funding.Congressman Pallone wrote to to FEMA Regional Administrator Jerome Hatfield in April of last year urging the agency to revisit the funding request so that the bridge could be re-opened, his office said.The second allocation provides $3.7 million in federal funding to make repairs to the Romer Shoal Lighthouse, which got hit hard during Sandy.The lighthouse sits three nautical miles north of Sandy Hook, New Jersey and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.