UK pensions regulator to take tougher approach to governance

first_img“We are now communicating our expectations more clearly to trustees. Those who fail to respond to our more directive approach may face further regulatory action.”The campaign follows a 2016 discussion paper from TPR looking at how standards could be raised among trustees and pension schemes’ governance improved.Last week the regulator said it had found “major gaps” in pension fund governance, with many small and medium-sized pension schemes demonstrating disappointing shortcomings.A week earlier, the UK pension scheme trade body said TPR needed to be less focused on processes and more on people in its approach to regulating pension fund governance.Commenting on TPR’s new campaign, Darren Redmayne, CEO of Lincoln Pensions, said he anticipated it would increase the regulatory burden on schemes, with smaller schemes likely to feel this most.“Perhaps obvious ‘winners’ from this campaign will include the professional trustee and covenant advisory firms who, I expect, will see even more work come their way as lay trustees respond to these reaffirmed expectations,” he added. The UK’s pension regulator has launched a communications campaign to make clearer its expectations of pension fund governance and what it will do if its standards are not met.The Pensions Regulator (TPR) has launched a dedicated section of its website containing “specific and relevant content that sets out clear standards that TPR expects schemes to meet”.The campaign does not involve new or higher standards being set, but the regulator being “clearer and more directive”, it said.Anthony Raymond, acting executive director for regulatory policy at TPR, said: “We have set out our intention to be clearer, quicker and tougher. This campaign is one of the ways we are delivering this commitment and I would like to see all trustees visit the new campaign web page to ensure they are doing all they can to safeguard their members’ benefits.last_img read more

MBB : Syracuse takes all 3 matchups with UConn; Jardine sees limited time in 2nd half

first_img Comments Published on March 8, 2012 at 12:00 pm Facebook Twitter Google+center_img NEW YORK — For the first time since 1983-84, Syracuse defeated Connecticut three times in one season.‘It’s tough to beat a team, especially like Connecticut, three times in a row,’ forward James Southerland said. ‘But we came out with it and we did what we needed to do.’Each game was a little different. In the first meeting, Feb. 11 in Syracuse, a big second-half run boosted the Orange to an 18-point win. In the second, Feb. 25 in Storrs, Conn., Syracuse nearly blew a double-digit lead but held on to win by two.On Thursday, both teams battled in a defensive struggle in which it seemed they knew all of each other’s tendencies. Syracuse pulled out the 58-55 win to advance to the Big East tournament semifinals.Connecticut head coach Jim Calhoun was on the court for the first time of the three meetings in Thursday’s Big East tournament quarterfinals. He missed the first two meetings with back issues and associate head coach George Blaney was in charge.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe result didn’t change with Calhoun back. He praised the team Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim has put together after the game.‘What Jim has done this year, you can make an argument between them and Kentucky as the best teams in the country,’ Calhoun said. ‘They certainly have a great many answers, terrific athletes.’This was the third time in the last four Big East tournaments that Syracuse and UConn met. In 2009, the Orange defeated the Huskies in six overtimes in the quarterfinals. Last season, UConn returned the favor, as Kemba Walker led his team past the Orange in the semifinals.Calhoun said he loves Boeheim ‘like a brother’ and said Boeheim has done an incredible job with the No. 2 Orange this year.Syracuse has a No. 1 seed all but locked up for the NCAA Tournament. Connecticut appears to have done enough to qualify for the 68-team field as well, although a win Thursday would have erased any worries.After beating the Huskies for the third time, Boeheim said he sees UConn doing more than just making the tournament.‘I think Connecticut is a really good team’ he said. ‘I would be shocked if they don’t win two games in the NCAA Tournament, at the minimum.’Jardine plays just 3 second-half minutesBoeheim said he went with who was playing the best. It wasn’t that Scoop Jardine was playing that bad, per se.Syracuse’s other guards were just playing at a very high level.‘He wasn’t having a great day,’ Boeheim said. ‘Dion was having a great day and Brandon was having a great day. So it was just a matter of going with the two guys that were playing better.’Jardine played just three minutes in the second half of Syracuse’s win over Connecticut. In 18 minutes total, the senior guard scored two points on 1-of-6 shooting and grabbed two rebounds. Triche and Waiters each played 17 minutes in the second half.Syracuse has tended to go with the hot hands all year long at every position, showcasing its depth down the stretch. Jardine and forward C.J. Fair were the odd ones out against UConn, as Southerland also played most of the second half at the power forward position.It was also Jardine’s second straight game in which he has struggled. The senior went scoreless in his final home game against Louisville last Saturday.‘Some games it’s been those two, some games it’s been Scoop and one of them,’ Boeheim said. ‘But today Scoop wasn’t making shots, and I thought that the two best offensive guards we had were those two guys.’Fair struggles in startC.J. Fair said he was a little under the weather leading up to SU’s matchup with UConn Thursday. Because of that ailment, the headband he usually wears in games was giving him a headache and making him dizzy so he decided to ditch it for the contest.But after going 0-of-4 with two points and no rebounds, the sophomore said he wants to wear it tomorrow against Cincinnati, health permitting.‘I decided to go without it,’ he said. ‘Tomorrow, we’ll see how it goes. Hopefully, I can wear it tomorrow.’Fair averages 8.8 points and 5.3 rebounds per game for the Orange coming off the bench. He started three games earlier this year when Fab Melo was suspended due to an academic issue but was surprised when Boeheim told him earlier in the week he would start against Connecticut in place of freshman Rakeem Christmas.But the start did not go as planned as Fair played the fewest minutes (15) in a game he has all year and registered his second lowest scoring total.‘Today it didn’t feel too good,’ he said. ‘I didn’t play my best today.’zjbrown@syr.edumcooperj@syr.edulast_img read more

Syracuse’s five scorers ignite strong second half in 72-62 comeback win over Drexel

first_img Published on December 9, 2017 at 9:33 pm Contact Andrew: aegraham@syr.edu | @A_E_Graham For the fifth time in 10 games this season, Syracuse trailed at halftime. Drexel shot an efficient 47.4 percent from the field and had outscored SU in the paint, 20-10. Senior guard Megan Marecic finished 5-of-6 from 3.Syracuse, meanwhile, didn’t have a double-digit scorer after 20 minutes and had hit only nine shots from the floor. If not for an 11-of-12 mark from the free-throw line, the Orange would’ve headed for the locker room trailing by much more than eight.“First half we were sluggish,” SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said.Five players did all the scoring for Syracuse, combining for 39 second-half points, and SU (10-0) came back and topped Drexel (6-4), 72-62, Saturday evening in the Carrier Dome. Digna Strautmane led the way with 19, while usual suspects Miranda Drummond and Tiana Mangakahia chipped in 17 and 16, respectively. Gabrielle Cooper and Isis Young added 10 each. Midway through the third quarter, Hillsman “shortened” the bench to keep the hot hands on the floor.“We had a really good second half,” Hillsman said. “… Got five players in double-digit scoring, shortened our rotation a little bit.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIn the first quarter, the 1,471 fans in the Dome stood and clapped in rhythm for 2:51 until Drummond hit a 3 for Syracuse’s first field goal of the game. The slow start served as a microcosm for the struggles SU endured offensively for the first 20 minutes of the contest.Just like the Orange, the Dragons employ a 2-3 zone scheme on defense. In the first half, though, DU’s on-ball defense was frenzied.Mangakahia couldn’t find edges to slip past a defender because another arm waited on either side of her to impede progress. Shooters, like Cooper and Young, were closed out with a hand in their face before they locked onto their target. Strautmane and fellow freshman big, Amaya Finklea-Guity, struggled to find enough space to receive an entry pass and when they did, challenges from Drexel bigs forced awkward, low-percentage shots.“We didn’t scramble … we missed some matchups,” Hillsman said.But in the second half, the offense opened up.“Shots were dropping,” Mangakahia said of the second half, “first half we couldn’t hit anything.”In the first 3:24 of the third quarter, SU blitzed DU for 10 points and opened up the second half with a 12-2 run. In that run, Cooper and Strautmane both hit 3s. Cooper hit from the corner, Strautmane from the wing. To counteract, Drexel stretched its defense further out, opening up space for Strautmane to operate down low.By the end of the third quarter, Strautmane had added nine points to her total. Drexel as a team managed just eight in the period. The Orange found something that worked.“We were making a really good run,” Hillsman said, “so we got everything settled and locked into that unit and they did an excellent job of closing the game out.”With Strautmane (nine points) and Drummond (five) starting to warm after stagnant first halves, Hillsman subbed less. Jasmine Nwajei and Raven Fox, who average more than 10 minutes a night each, didn’t play in the second half.The only substitution Hillsman made at all in the second half was Young for Finklea-Guity and vice versa. The other four starters — Mangakahia, Cooper, Drummond and Strautmane — never came off the floor. For the final 5:16, Hillsman didn’t sub at all.Paring the rotation down to six players kept the hot hands on the floor for longer. Cooper scored eight of her 10 points in the second half.Not even a minute into the fourth quarter, SU swung the ball around the outside. Young caught a pass and saw a hand in her face, so she made the extra pass to Cooper, who with just enough breathing room, elevated and canned a 3 right in front of Syracuse’s bench to put SU up 12.Cooper’s teammate, Desiree Elmore, had already risen from her seat and stuck three fingers in the air while the ball arced toward the hoop. When it ripped through the net, Elmore hopped on the court and swung her right fist across her body.It was SU’s largest lead of the night, and one that shrunk to as little as three, but never went away.“We just push through,” Drummond said, “even when we’re down. I guess we just have a totally different mindset in the second half.”After playing one of its worst halves of the season, SU needed to be a different team in the second half. Thanks to some timely shooting and a tighter rotation, it was. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Fortuna Entertainment confident of hitting 2017 targets

first_img Share StumbleUpon The governance of Eastern European gambling group Fortuna Entertainment NV has detailed that it is confident of hitting its full-year 2017 corporate guidance, following a strong end to 2017 trading.Issuing a short market update, based on its preliminary unaudited 2017 results, Fortuna entertainment expects to generate total group corporate revenues of €1.9 billion.Furthermore, the company has raised its full-year EBITDA growth range to +135-155%, from its original guidance of 80-95% on FY 2016 results.The gambling operator, detailed a strong Q4 2017 closing period, in which its sports betting margin was bolstered by a series of favourable sporting results, recorded during the period.Closing its statement, Fortuna governance detailed that it expects to deliver a 2017 group capital expenditure in the range of €11-14 million.This January, Fortbet Holdings the largest shareholder in Fortuna Entertainment (80% equity), detailed that it had entered a binding agreement allowing the investment fund to acquire the gambling group outright.Gaining approval, Fortbet seeks to turn Fortuna into a private enterprise delisting the firm’s placement on the Prague and Warsaw Stock Exchanges. Related Articles BetFan sets top five target for Poland’s online betting market May 16, 2019 Fortuna completes Playtech IMS upgrade for Polish profile May 7, 2020 Share Submit Polish trade body urges ministers to rethink gambling regime for a modern economy March 4, 2020last_img read more

MLS waiting to name next expansion team

first_imgMLS MLS delay expansion announcement as Cincinnati, Detroit & Sacramento await fate Goal 01:54 12/22/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(1) Don Garber MLS Andrew Nelles MLS A day after adding Nashville as the newest club, Major League Soccer will decide in the new year which of the three candidates will be next Major League Soccer announced Thursday it will name another expansion team in the new year — with Cincinnati, Detroit and Sacramento hoping to win the bid.A day after adding Nashville as the league’s newest city, MLS is forcing the three remaining cities to wait patiently as they decide which one will be awarded the 25th franchise.”Following the announcement of Nashville as our newest club yesterday, Major League Soccer remains in discussions with the other three finalists for the next team to be awarded during this round of expansion — Cincinnati, Detroit and Sacramento,” read a statement. Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player “All three submitted impressive bids which the league will take additional time to review before announcing a final decision in the new year.”Major League Soccer’s statement regarding expansion: pic.twitter.com/SW8lASUeri— Major League Soccer (@MLS) December 21, 2017MLS is quickly growing with LAFC beginning play in 2018 as the 23rd team, but Nashville’s first season is yet to be determined.Sacramento is considered the favorite to be the 25 team in MLS, as the city already has plans to build a stadium. Miami is hoping to join the league in 2019, but the ownership group led by David Beckham has had issues acquiring a site for the stadium.last_img read more