Sheffield United star John Fleck shuts down Arsenal transfer speculation

first_imgAdvertisement Metro Sport ReporterThursday 30 Jan 2020 2:36 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link641Shares Comment Fleck scored a late equaliser at the Emirates earlier this month (Picture: Getty)However, in a video posted by Sheffield United’s official Twitter account on Thursday afternoon, Fleck shut down rumours of a possible switch to the Emirates.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘We all thought you were leaving this morning,’ a voice in the clip told Fleck at Sheffield United’s training ground.Fleck rather emphatically replied: ‘Eh?! No chance!’’No chance!’ ❌Pretty emphatic response from John Fleck after being linked with Arsenal pic.twitter.com/mMqOXN0sCW— Metro Sport (@Metro_Sport) January 30, 2020 Sheffield United star John Fleck shuts down Arsenal transfer speculationcenter_img Advertisement John Fleck has rubbished rumours he could be joining Arsenal this January (Picture: Getty)John Fleck has reassured Sheffield United fans that he has no intention of leaving them to join Arsenal this January.The 28-year-old midfielder has had an impressive start to the campaign with the Blades, racking up five goals and two assists in the Premier League, and his eye-catching form is rumoured to have put the Gunners on alert.Last week, Football Insider suggested that Arsenal have been weighing up a £20million bid for Fleck. The report stated that an offer in this region could tempt Sheffield United into selling the Scotland international in the summer.It’s claimed Fleck’s team-mate, George Baldock, is also on Arsenal’s radar after a standout start to the season with the promoted side at right-back.ADVERTISEMENT Arsenal completed a loan move for Flamengo’s Pablo Mari earlier this week and the north London club are expected to unveil Cedric Soares imminently.On Thursday afternoon, Ralph Hasenhuttl admitted that Soares may have played his last match for Southampton.Asked whether Kyle Walker-Peters’ arrival had opened the door to Soares leaving, the Southampton manager replied: ‘From our side, yes.‘The fact is that he’s out of contract in the summer. He is injured at the moment so it will take three or four weeks until he can play again.‘We had a good meeting two days ago. We didn’t speak about that. I was very positive with his development of his game in our shape, I could also imagine going longer with him but sometimes things change quickly in football.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityHasenhuttl added: ‘For the club and for him it’s best and we say “Okay, if you want to leave, you only have two or three months on your contract and it’s better to go and we are concentrating on developing other players”.‘This is our way, this is our philosophy. We went this way for more than a year and see young players developing well.‘We have a few bright diamonds in our youth and we will have a lot of fun with them in the future and Kyle Walker-Peters can be one of them.’MORE: Wes Brown makes Bruno Fernandes admission after Manchester United’s clash with Manchester Citylast_img read more

Luke Walton defends Lonzo Ball from those who said he got ‘destroyed’ in debut

first_img Clippers’ Patrick Beverley gives rude welcome to Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball That doesn’t even include the Nov. 2 matchup with D’Angelo Russell, who will no doubt be looking to prove the Lakers erred in trading him.Not that Ball should be looking that far ahead.“We want him to stay more present in the moment,” Walton said. “He’s got more on his plate than to try to get him to wrap his head around the list of point guards he’s got coming in.”But they are still coming.“It’s always someone, especially in the starting lineup, that’s really darn good at something,” Walton said. “He’ll have his work cut out for him each night, but each night will be a unique – especially the first time through (the schedule) – will be a unique learning opportunity for him.”INACTIVE: ZUBACFor the second straight game, Ivica Zubac was on the bench in street clothes. The Lakers’ second-round pick in 2016, Zubac started 11 games last season and was often included in conversations about the organization’s cherished young core.In his second season, however, he hasn’t been a factor.Walton said it has been a “numbers thing” that kept Zubac on the inactive list. With Ball coming off a sprained ankle and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope suspended for the first two games of the season, it was more important to Walton to have guard depth. So Josh Hart and Alex Caruso have remained active.Zubac struggled in summer league, and has acknowledged that he thought it would be easier given his experience in the NBA.“I’ve talked to him since then and he has changed his attitude and preparation and changed his body since summer league,” Walton said. “He has got to be more aggressive in the way he attacks the ball, but he is coming along nicely.”The other player joining Zubac on the inactive list Friday was something of a surprise. Veteran Luol Deng, who started Thursday night’s opener. Against the Clippers he scored just two points in 13 minutes.Against Phoenix, Walton said he wanted “more natural energy,” which led him to start Corey Brewer instead of Deng. PHOENIX — By Friday, the Lakers were onto the Phoenix Suns and Lonzo Ball had shifted his focus to Eric Bledsoe.Beyond the walls of the visitors’ locker room at Talking Stick Resort Arena, however, the news cycle was stuck on Ball’s professional debut the night before and a perception that the No. 2 overall draft pick had flopped.Coach Luke Walton heard those opinions and came to his young point guard’s defense ahead of the Friday’s game.Related Articles Magic Johnson passes torch, but Lonzo Ball era begins with lopsided loss to Clippers Miller: Lonzo Ball, Lakers open new era amid turbo-charged hype Do the Lakers have a Julius Randle problem? AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersBall tallied nine rebounds and four assists, but the Lakers shot just 40 percent from the floor.“We didn’t make any shots,” Walton said. “He’ll figure out when to get his shots. I thought he was fine last night. It’s a good learning experience for everybody.”Ball was relentlessly hounded by Clippers point guard Patrick Beverley, who acknowledged after the game that he wanted to send a message to Ball and his boisterous father, LaVar. Beverley remained combative, screaming profanities aimed at Ball after the game had ended, something Walton said did not surprise him.“He’s a hard-nosed player and he has success by getting into people and getting under their skin,” Walton said. “He sees a rookie point guard out there. That’s exactly what he’s going to try to do.”The opposing point guards won’t get any less daunting. After facing Bledsoe on Friday, the list of his upcoming matchups is a veritable gauntlet of talent and tenacity. In order: Jrue Holiday, John Wall, Kyle Lowry, Ricky Rubio, soon followed by Damian Lillard, Mike Conley,  Kyrie Irving, Wall again, and reigning Rookie of the Year Malcolm Brogdon. “I think Lonzo’s getting a bad (rap) for getting destroyed his first game,” Walton said. “Personally, I thought he could have had a double-double with rebounds and assists. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

CATHAL Mac SUIBHNE: HAPPY ENDING TO DONEGAL V MONAGHAN (PART II)

first_imgDonegal are in their 6th Ulster final in a row. Pic Geraldine DiverBY CATHAL Mac SUIBHNE – VOICE OF THE DONEGAL FANS: “Donegal are back!” So uttered Dessie Dolan on RTE Radio after last night’s encounter at Breffni Park.Well Dessie, we hadn’t gone anywhere ya know!Donegal have qualified for a sixth successive Ulster Final and that is a terrific achievement. Four of those of course were under Jim so for that streak to carry on as it has, Rory deserves huge credit. This was also his first time beating Monaghan since he became manager, at the fifth time of asking. As one point wins go, this was a fairly comprehensive one; Donegal led inside a minute and bar a brief period where the sides were level after Conor McManus’ penalty, they led throughout.Donegal made hard work of the victory in a contest where they were always the better team. The first goal was a crazy one to concede as everyone fell asleep once a free-in was awarded. Some of the players even went over to the sideline to get instructions from Rory as if there was a break in play but with the ball in his hands McManus was the most alert man on the field.The second goal was certainly contentious – inside or outside the box? Black card or not? Anthony Thompson or Eoin McHugh? The black card was surely the harshest out of all the calls; there was no doubt that a foul was committed but a deliberate act of cynical play? It was guesswork from Maurice Deegan and his guess went against Thompson, who appeared to do his best in trying to get a hand on the ball.Aside from the goals, the first half belonged to Donegal. It was as good a thirty-five minutes of football as we’ve seen in the Championship since the famous win over the Dubs. They ran incessantly at the Farney defence, finding plenty of gaps and crucially took their chances through the likes of Rory Kavanagh, Thompson and Martin McElhinney.There could have been even more joy on the scoreboard as on numerous occasions, Donegal attacked down the left wing but usually ended up with a right footed player on the end of the run, unprepared to take a punt off his weaker left.The middle sector of the field, where most of Donegal’s surges came from, was dominated by McElhinney, McGlynn and Martin O’Reilly. The latter has improved steadily since Rory took charge but he managed to find another level of performance, finishing the game with 0-3 and was the outstanding player on the field. O’Reilly also played a vital role in negating the effect of Karl O’Connell and his subdued evening was a major factor in his team’s demise.McGlynn gave yet another masterclass in how to play against modern defences. He has the innate ability to know when to hold onto the ball and when to slow the game down. Then suddenly in an instant, he can inject some pace, change the angle of attack, move up a gear or two and pierce a hole in a defensive line. His intelligence in possession makes him such a valuable player and he is reminiscent of the great Denis Irwin – Mr Consistent. McGlynn rarely, if ever, dips below a seven out of ten rating and very often goes beyond that.One man who did as much moving as anyone, when he was let, was Maxi Curran. It was a bit like Paddy McGrath’s battle with McManus as the linesman played the role of the back, not letting Maxi out of his sight. The sideline official didn’t fare as well as McGrath though as several lapses in concentration let the Downings man run free across the Breffni pitch, much to the angst of the Monaghan crowd in the stands.A particularly pleasing aspect of the win was that the team was able to produce such an accomplished performance despite a number of frontline men being kept reasonably quiet in open play. Michael Murphy, Paddy McBrearty, Odhran MacNiallais and Ryan McHugh were all well marked but the supporting cast stepped up to the plate.Ryan was shadowed throughout by Ryan McAnespie, who generally ignored the ball and instead eyeballed McHugh and did everything he could to block his runs and time on the ball.Eoin was also stifled to a degree and indeed it was the elder statesman of the McHugh clan, Mark, who made the biggest impact on proceedings following his introduction when replacing Thompson. He scored a fine long range point early in the second half and put in a huge shift of running up and down the field. In spite of all this, there was a sense that Donegal could not shake Monaghan off and some fantastic scores from distance kept Malachy O’Rourke’s team right on the coat tails of their rivals.For the closing stages, as the pressure was ratcheted up, Mark Anthony McGinley sent nearly all his restarts down on top of Murphy and Vinny Corey and it was the Glenswilly man who got his hands to most. A few fumbles and dispossessions though from his teammates and Monaghan were able to attack from deep and with five minutes of added time announced it made for a tense finale. Five minutes this week and six last week – another example of the GAA making a mess of something they try to improve, the idea being that each substitution now leads to time added on but with twelve replacements permitted it will lead to every game having four of five minutes added, which is too many.It would have been daylight robbery had Donegal not come away with the win and they now deservedly take their place in the provincial showpiece in a fortnight’s time. Murphy commented afterwards that this display wont count for much unless they can repeat it in the final.It will be an early start for the faithful on July 17th with the minors pencilled in for a high noon start against Derry. Its a great problem to have though, two teams in Clones on Ulster Final Day.CATHAL Mac SUIBHNE: HAPPY ENDING TO DONEGAL V MONAGHAN (PART II) was last modified: July 3rd, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more