Man City could be in next year’s Champions League if ban frozen

first_imgBy Simon EvansMANCHESTER, England (Reuters) – Manchester City could play in next season’s Champions League despite a two-year UEFA ban from European competition if they ask for the suspension to be frozen by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) during their appeal, sports law experts say.UEFA ruled on Friday that City had committed “serious breaches” of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations and failed to cooperate with its investigation, handing them a European ban and a 30 million euro (£24.9 million) fine.City, who have denied any wrongdoing, said they intended to appeal the decision to CAS in Switzerland and when they do they could ask for “provisional measures” which in effect would suspend the ban until a full hearing into the case is heard.The Premier League champions have not indicated if they will ask for such measures and CEO Ferran Soriano said in a statement yesterday that he hoped for a swift end to the case. “We are looking for an early resolution obviously, through a thorough process and a fair process, so my best hope is that this will be finished before the beginning of the summer and until then for us, it is business as usual,” he saidIf City do not ask for provisional measures then they risk having the ban kick in during the appeal process, after the draw for next season’s Champions League has taken place. The competition’s preliminary round draw is scheduled on June 9 and the group stage draw is set for August 27. PROVISIONAL MEASURES“It is very likely indeed, practically certain, that City will seek ‘provisional measures’ from the CAS,” leading Sports Law Barrister, John Mehrzad told Reuters.“That is their only way at present to seek such a stay of the disciplinary sanction since CAS has, at present, exclusive jurisdiction over the appeal under the UEFA Statutes.”City are currently second in the Premier League and on course to qualify for the Champions League. Their legal team would be keen to avoid a scenario where they successfully overturned the ban but had already suffered the cost of a season out of the competition.The only other way a decision could be made before the start of the Champions League process is if the case were expedited.Christopher Flanagan, managing editor of the International Sports Law Journal, said that would give both parties less time to prepare their arguments so City would be more inclined to press for provisional measures. “That is the most likely as it would give City some certainty while they prepare for a full hearing without risking their chances of being in the Champions League next year.“It would be a calculated gamble, though, as if they are unsuccessful a full non-expedited hearing may not take place until after the Champions League cycle is underway,” he said. Given CAS’s normal timeframe for scheduling hearings, City’s case might not be heard until early next year, although waiting times for hearings vary. If the case was to be expedited then it could be heard by July. FINANCIAL COSTMissing out on a Champions League season would cost City as much as £100 million in prize money and broadcast revenue, as well as match-day and other revenues.If City won a ‘stay’ but CAS then upheld UEFA’s ban, after the 2020-21 season was underway, then the club’s two-year suspension would take effect in the following two seasons. While neither UEFA nor City have made many details of the case public, the decision of the CAS panel would offer an early indication of their view on the strength of City’s appeal.“It will be very revealing to see what CAS does in terms of an application for provisional measures, as one of the factors that the president of the panel will take into account when deciding whether to grant provisional measures is the likelihood of success on the merits of the case,” said Mehrzad.City have 10 days from the receipt of UEFA’s full reasoning of their decision to put in an appeal. The CAS panel would then have to decide whether to accept any request for a ‘freeze’ on the ban from City, a decision which could be made by the end of March.last_img read more

Reinier will spend this Saturday the recognition with Madrid

first_imgThe dream of Reinier Jesus (17 years) becomes reality as the days go by and the most anticipated date approaches, on January 19, when he will be of legal age and Real Madrid will be able to announce his signing at the time it deems appropriate. As AS has learned, the white club He has sent professionals from his medical services to Brazil to perform the protocol medical examination to the player, with whom they will meet this Saturday.The appointment between the doctors and Reinier will be, in principle, at Comary Farm, the headquarters of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF). There the player has been concentrated since January 3 to prepare the Pre-Olympic tournament with the U-23 National Team, which will be held from the 18th of this month to the 9th of February in Colombia. It is one of the few procedures that remain to definitively close the deal. LaLiga Santander* Data updated as of January 10, 2020 In February, to Castillacenter_img Madrid and Flamengo agreed last week to pay the termination clause of the Brazilian pearl, 30 million: 80% (24 million) will go to the Brazilian entity, 10% (3) to the family and the other 10% (3) will be pocketed by the agent. The commitment, as this newspaper advanced, will be for the remainder of the season and six more, a good example of the confidence they have placed since the Bernabéu in a football player they compare with Kaka.If everything follows its course, Reinier, who as his family is already studying Spanish, will join Castilla in February, after returning from the Pre-Olympic. The idea of ​​Madrid is not to give up, but to finish with Raul and joining the training with the first team.last_img read more