TNT posts 3rd straight win, beats Star

first_imgIt’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson TNT head coach Nash Racela liked that his team was able to play through calls that didn’t go their way.“We’ve been going through ups and downs but I think the more important thing is us finding ways to win and that’s exactly the same message I had for Glen (Rice Jr.) during one of our timeouts because he was complaining about the non-calls,” said Racela.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“I just reminded them the refs won’t adjust for sure and the only we can do is find ways to win.”Rice had three quick fouls in a span of 10 seconds early in the fourth quarter. View comments A costly, catty dispute finally settled PBA IMAGESTNT chalked up its third straight win in the PBA Governors’ Cup at the expense of Star, 104-99, Sunday at Ynares Sports Center in Antipolo.The KaTropa improved to 7-3 to overtake defending champion San Miguel, which has a 6-3 card, for the fourth spot while the Hotshots stayed in sixth place. ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson How to help the Taal evacuees DAY6 is for everybody Consistent Ravena a steady force for Ateneo so far in Season 80 In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up MOST READ Then, Racela was called for a technical foul allowing Paul Lee to cut the deficit to six, 91-85, from as high as 16.Star was called for its first foul after Jio Jalalon hit Jayson Castro with 4:07 to go.Despite the foul situation, TNT managed to hold on to win with Rice hitting a dagger of a jumper with 26 seconds remaining that gave the KaTropa a 102-96 lead.Rice finished with a game-high 43 points to go along with 19 rebounds, and nine assists while Castro, Troy Rosario, and Roger Pogoy each had 12 points.Kristofer Acox led the Hotshots with 18 points and 18 boards.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

“We are ready to bring justice to your doorstep”

first_img– acting Chancellor of the JudiciaryResidents of Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) will have swift access to justice now that the Rupununi Magisterial District Court Office has officially been opened. This District Office will also handle administrative matters of the courts at Lethem, Aishalton, Annai, and Karasabai.Speaking at the commissioning ceremony of this District Court on Friday, acting Chancellor of the Judiciary, Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards, reflected on theJustice Yonette Cummings-Edwards, Chancellor of the Judiciary (ag)many challenges the region’s residents had faced. She said that sittings of the Magistrates Court in Lethem were held for two weeks on a quarterly basis. “For areas like Monkey Mountain, the Magistrate would come in on the flight, and 30 minutes before the flight goes back, within that period he or she would hold court and then they go back to Georgetown. Could that be justice in the circumstances?” she asked rhetorically.Emphasising that justice is “not one-sided”, Justice Cummings-Edwards said the magistrates were not the only ones affected. “Persons coming from Karasabai and even Aishalton, most of the times court was held here in Lethem and they would have to travel sometimes two days just to get to court; and when the water is high, it would take even longer for them to get to the court,” she detailed.The Magistrate’s Court was previously held in the Police Station in a small roomHis Worship Allan Wilson, Resident Magistrate of the Rupununi Magisterial District.“which was 10 by 10…the Magistrates, the lawyers, the prosecutors, the prisoners, everyone assembled in that room for justice,” Justice Cummings-Edwards related.The Guyana Police Force (GPF) also incurred financial expenses as a result of the court system in that region. For instance, if someone were charged with an unbailable offence, the transportation cost for that person to stand trial before the Chief Magistrate in Georgetown would be the responsibility of the GPF.In cases where persons were not imprisoned and had to be returned to the district to await the next court date, in some cases three months later, room was left for them to take advantage of the system by engaging in other illegal activities, she explained.According to the acting Chancellor, “We have looked at all of those factors, and we have seen the benefits the District here would have for all the residents, for all concerned”.The instrumental role that Justice Carl Singh, former Chancellor of the Judiciary, played in realizing this District Court Office was highlighted and commended. Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards pointed out that Justice Singh, recognising that the conditions under which the law was being administered in the Rupununi were not suitable, acquired the present land on which the Supreme Court was able to construct the District Office.With the opening of the office, residents will now have centralised services for their legal matters, such as bail refunds and payment for licences, among other things.Another plus for the region is the appointment of His Worship Magistrate Allan Wilson as the Resident Magistrate for the Rupununi Magisterial District, which will guarantee timely dispensation of justice.Delivering brief remarks, Magistrate Wilson said excuses can no longer be advanced for delays in the dispensation of fair-play within the District.Magistrate Wilson also reflected on what used to obtain in terms of the space constraints, poor furnishing, and long hours for hearing of cases within the designated two weeks at the Lethem Court. He said the job had to be done in spite of those challenges.“The creation of this sub-registry and the expansion of the Rupununi Magisterial District to include courts at Aishalton and Karasabai will greatly assist the people of this region. No longer will the litigants have to travel long distances to Georgetown…or depend on the Post Office for the payment of child support; and it will also now be easier for domestic violence issues to be addressed in a timely fashion”, Magistrate Wilson pointed out.The Magistrate and other staff are now better accommodated, and are therefore better positioned to adequately provide services which were previously inaccessible within the region.Magistrate Wilson expressed gratitude to the Government of Guyana and members of the Judiciary for the achievement of what is described as a “historic milestone” for the justice sector.Lethem Mayor, Carlton Beckles, also said the advent of regular court hearings would contribute to timely litigation and assist the regional administration in meeting its goals as a township.He noted, “We have joined other municipalities, like Linden, Bartica and New Amsterdam, just to name a few. We will also now benefit, from time to time, (by) the other services provided by this entity; and for these reasons, I pledge our unconditional support”.Mayor Beckles also called on residents to see the court as a “necessary ingredient in the menu of development.”The Supreme Court conducted extensive consultations with Toshaos, the regional administration, residents, the GPF and agencies, particularly the Guyana Lands and Surveys Commission (GLSC).The establishment of the Rupununi Magisterial District Court Office falls under the Justice Improvement Project.last_img read more

Campus repairs begin after fire

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN GABRIEL – A demolition crew will begin removing debris at Emperor Elementary School today, and school officials plan to have four portable classrooms on campus Monday following suspected arson earlier this week. David Jaynes, Temple City Unified School District business manager, said he was authorized Friday at an emergency school board meeting to spend up to $1 million to demolish four classrooms damaged in the blaze and acquire temporary housing for 77 displaced first- and second-grade students. The four portables were acquired Friday from the Covina-Valley Unified School District, Jaynes said, and he was working Friday afternoon to find a trucker to bring them to Emperor on Monday. District officials are moving swiftly to recover from the Wednesday night fire that destroyed one classroom and heavily damaged three others. Joan Hillard, Temple City Unified’s superintendent, estimated the damage at $1 million. The school has more than 600 K-6 students. Sgt. Craig Anderson with the Los Angeles County sheriff’s Arson Explosives Unit was at the school Friday inspecting the ruins and taking photographs. “The investigation is continuing and we haven’t found a cause,” he said. “We believe it was arson-related and incendiary in nature.” Jaimi Harrison, the school’s community liaison, said a storage room that housed school supplies was destroyed. Jerri Williamson, the school secretary, said the school lacks a place to store donated supplies that are now pouring in, and is trying to secure a 40-foot-long storage container. “We took some items out of one room that were very stained, very soot-filled and smelly, and moved them into the cafeteria to sort them,” she said. The smoky smell was so strong that students had lunch outside on the front lawn, something they do occasionally, Harrison said. And the community has shown strong support for the school, she said. Wal-Mart has established an emergency fund for situations like the Emperor fire, and Harrison said if they qualify, the school wants to install air purifiers in classrooms near the fire, where the odor of smoke is strongest. Williamson said families and community members have so far donated $3,000. Officials at Longden Elementary School sent a truckload of first- and second-grade materials, while Oak Avenue Intermediate School officials sent a list of available furniture. emanuel.parker@sgvn.com (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4475last_img read more