1 Steven Taylor Steven Taylor has been ruled out for two months following an operation on his injured hamstring.The defender has not played for Newcastle since their goalless draw against Manchester United in August after picking up the problem.Now the 29-year-old has been forced to go under the knife to solve the issue and is expected to be sidelined until the end of November.“He had a scan on his hamstring,” explained Magpies manager Steve McClaren.“He’s had a small operation to repair the damage and unfortunately it looks like he’ll be out for a couple of months.”The loss of the experienced Taylor will come as a blow to McClaren given his side’s struggles this season.Newcastle have yet to win under the former England boss, picking up just two points from their six games so far, and have already conceded nine goals.
SOUTH BAY: Man violated a new law that bans convicted felons from places where children congregate. By Denise Nix STAFF WRITER While sex offender Richard Gibbons was under police surveillance for about six hours this week, he drove to about a dozen elementary schools, including two in the South Bay. Before the law took effect, sex offenders could go onto school campuses – unless they had been specifically ordered to stay away. Von Helmolt said the legislation closed a gap that left children vulnerable to predators. “He is not on probation or parole, and his being on school grounds would have been perfectly fine in the eyes of the law,” Von Helmolt said. When Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Senate Bill 1128, penned by Sen. Elaine Alquist, D-Santa Clara, and Sen. Chuck Poochigian, R-Fresno, he said it would give law enforcement better tools to catch and convict high-risk sex offenders. Other provisions of the law set the prison term for raping a child at 25 years to life and toughened penalties for possession of child pornography and Internet predators. Gibbons, who is being held on $50,000 bail, pleaded not guilty in Torrance Superior Court on Thursday. He returns to court Oct. 25. He faces a maximum year in county jail if convicted. Gibbons was placed under surveillance by the Santa Monica Police Department. According to a police bulletin, Gibbons had been seen repeatedly since 2004 loitering around several areas of Santa Monica, including Clover Park. Additionally, he was spotted recently hanging around a residence in the 1100 block of Stanford Street in Santa Monica where three girls live, the police said. When confronted by neighbors, Gibbons fled in his 1983 red Volvo. Although a police spokesman was not available, it would seem officers placed Gibbons under surveillance as a result of that incident. The police bulletin states that Gibbons is “drawn to elementary school-age children, particularly girls.” It is not known what other schools he drove to while under surveillance. Gibbons, who listed his residence as Culver City on the state’s sex offender database, was ordered to register after he was convicted of molesting a 9-year-old girl in 2002, Von Helmolt said. Details about that crime were not available. Gibbons also has a prior conviction and served a prison sentence for sexually assaulting a girl in Florida sometime in the 1980s, Von Helmolt added. [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.He usually parked his car outside the campuses and stayed inside, authorities said. But on Tuesday, when he allegedly parked his car in the school lot at Cowan Elementary School in Westchester, Gibbons violated a new state law. The Sex Offender Control and Containment Act, enacted last year, makes it a misdemeanor for anyone required to register as a sex offender to go onto school grounds without reason and written permission. The law also bans sex offenders from parks and other places where children congregate. Gibbons, 54, was arrested later that day outside Pacific Elementary School in Manhattan Beach, where he was allegedly masturbating inside his parked car. Gibbons was charged with a misdemeanor for going onto the Westchester campus and another for engaging in lewd conduct in a public place. Deputy District Attorney Christine Von Helmolt of the Torrance sex crimes unit said Gibbons displayed the type of behavior the new law was designed to curtail.
WEST HOLLYWOOD – Ghosts and goblins will be roaming Southland streets tonight in search of Halloween trick-or-treats, but West Hollywood will again be the center of Halloween revelry with its annual bawdy street party. The 2007 Halloween Costume Carnaval will begin at 6 p.m. along Santa Monica Boulevard between Doheny Drive and La Cienega Boulevard. The event annually attracts hundreds of thousands of revelers enjoying music entertainment blasting from four stages. Among the performers scheduled are Hanson, Boogie Nights and Thelma Houston. There will also be dancing and costume contests. At 9 p.m., Hanson and Toms Shoes will be honored on the City Stage at La Peer Drive and Santa Monica Boulevard for their work fighting poverty and HIV/AIDS in Africa. From 6 p.m. through 6 a.m., La Cienega Boulevard will be closed between Holloway Drive and Santa Monica Boulevard. Additionally, various streets will have turning lanes blocked to prevent traffic from entering the Carnaval area. Permit parking restrictions in West Hollywood will be suspended from 5 p.m. through 6 a.m. Public parking will be available for $15 at the Kings Road parking structure, 8383 Santa Monica Blvd.; the West Hollywood Park parking lot, 647 N. San Vicente Blvd.; Pacific Design Center, 8687 Melrose Ave.; and the El Tovar Lot, 8750 El Tovar Place. Elsewhere, thousands of revelers are expected to make the annual trek to Universal CityWalk and to Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, although no formal events are planned there. Police will be enforcing a ban on the sale and distribution of Silly String on Hollywood Boulevard. Violators could be hit with a fine of up to $1,000 or a month in jail. Police will also crack down on illegal vendors, issuing citations to those selling food without health permits. Officials said that in the past, cans of Silly String have become major public safety issues, often with people hurling the empty cans at others, and the discarded cans cost thousands of dollars to remove from the streets. For the younger Halloween revelers, officials from various agencies offered safety tips for children — and their parents — while trick-or- treating. These include: — plan a trick-or-treating route and share it with family, or have an adult go along; — wear light-colored or reflective clothing; — only visit homes that have a porch light on; — use face paint rather than masks or things that will cover your eyes; — only cross streets at corners, and be sure to look both ways for traffic; — don’t hide or cross the street between parked cars; — walk on sidewalks, not streets; — carry a flashlight; — keep away from open fires and candles; — never go into a stranger’s house; — be cautious of strangers and animals; and — have an adult inspect treats before eating.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.To make way for the celebration, streets will be closed throughout the area, meaning troubles for motorists. From 1 p.m. today through 6 a.m. tomorrow, the following streets will be closed: — Santa Monica Boulevard between La Cienega Boulevard and Doheny Drive; — Robertson Boulevard between Melrose Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard, and; — San Vicente Boulevard between Cynthia Street and Melrose Avenue.
“(The Accord) hit an unoccupied parked car. It continues to evade the officer,” Salazar said. The short pursuit ended at Norwalk Boulevard and Dorland Street when the car hit a curb and overturned. It ended up lying on its roof, she added. The driver fled. A sheriff’s helicopter spotted the man jumping over fences. Officers closed off an area. Salazar said the man was found in the 5900 block of Morrill Avenue. “He was in a backyard near a garage,” Salazar said. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThey were booked at Whittier Jail and will be arraigned Wednesday at Whittier Superior Court. Whittier police spokeswoman Diana Salazar said Prieto is also a parolee-at-large and that the 2006 gold-color Honda Accord was stolen from Pico Rivera. She didn’t know when it was stolen. No one was injured in the incident that began at 8:49 a.m. Salazar said the Accord drew an officer’s interest because its license plates were covered in paper and the driver also committed a traffic violation. When the officer tried to pull the car over, the driver took off. The chase was on. WHITTIER – Police arrested four people and recovered a stolen car Monday after a short chase that ended with the vehicle hitting a curb and overturning. The driver fled but was later found hiding in a yard. David Gavaldon, 27, of Whittier was arrested on suspicion of grand theft auto, evading police and burglary. Arrested on suspicion of grand theft auto were Chante Prieto, 21, of Whittier; Guadalupe Jacobo, 33, of Whittier; and Monica Padilla, 30, of West Covina.
Jimmy Byrne who today refused to dump 110 boxes of prime Monkfish at Kilmore QuayTRAWLERMEN in Co Donegal are to meet to discuss following the example of colleagues in Co Wexford – by giving away free fish to the public rather than dumping it at sea.It’s understood the pro-fishing lobbies in Killybegs and Greencastle are keen to support the stance of Séamus O’Flaherty, who owns the Saltees Quest, who gave away fish at Kilmore Quay in Wexford yesterday.The vessel exceeded its EU quota of monkfish and gave away 110 boxes of the prized fish to delighted members of the public. Skipper Jimmy Byrne said he took the action to oppose the EU rule that requires over-quota fish to be thrown back overboard.The crew was monitored by gardai before officers from the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority arrived.In a statement, the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority said: “A fishing operation that results in large quantities of fish for which the vessel does not have a quota is undesirable for everyone.“A prudent response would be to alter that operation – change fishing grounds or fishing techniques to try to avoid unwanted catches in the first instance. The quantities brought ashore as ‘discards’ in this morning’s landing are not consistent with this type of responsible fishing.” Last night sources in both Killybegs and Greencastle contacted Donegal Daily to say the protest was being “monitored” with a view to copycat incidents here in this county.It’s thought fishermen in several other counties are also planning to join the protest. DONEGAL FISHERMEN MAY GIVE AWAY FREE FISH AS PART OF NATIONAL CAMPAIGN was last modified: October 5th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL FISHERMEN MAY GIVE AWAY FREE FISH AS PART OF NATIONAL CAMPAIGNgreencastle co donegalkillybegs county donegal
Gervinho is clearly not the worst player ever to pull on the fabled Arsenal shirt, but it is fair to say he is near the bottom of that list.The Ivorian international spent two seasons in North London, scoring 11 goals in 63 games, and proving he was nowhere near the required quality for the Premier League.His departure to Roma was greeted with delight from the Gunners faithful, and it was no surprise to see the 28-year-old move to the Chinese Super League in January following the influx of money to the division.Not only is he likley be well paid for his services, but he is also playing in a league in which Gervinho looks like a true world beater – as evidenced by this insane solo goal he scored.Click play above to see Gervinho showing off his skills in China…
Toby Dundas (far left) with his Temper Trap bandmates 1 Each week, a leading musician takes our Starting XI Q&A. This week, it’s Arsenal fan Toby Dundas, of Temper Trap fame…Who would be the most rock ‘n’ roll signing Arsenal could make? Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. He’s got an eye for goal and knows how to rock a leopard print-trimmed tux, although the ticket was price was better before he left Saint-Etienne for Dortmund.If Arsenal were a song or a lyric, what would they be?Either ‘Big Spender’ (ahh the irony) or Four Tet’s ‘My Angel Rocks Back and Forth’.Which football stadium would you most like to play a gig at (that’s not the Emirates Stadium)?Gotta be Wembley, though I think Leyton Orient’s Brisbane Road (Leyton Orient) might be more our size.Which footballer has the most potential to be a rock star?Petr Cech is pretty handy on drumsBrit award or Premier League trophy?I’d love to see Wenger lift the PL trophy one more time.When you were a kid, which football and music posters did you have on your wall?Well, no one cared about ‘soccer’ when I was a kid in Australia, so all my sports posters were from my (Aussie Rules) AFL team, Melbourne: Garry Lyon, Allen Jakovich and Stephan Tingay, ‘Carn the mighty Dees! Music posters would’ve been Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and Radiohead.Elvis was the king of rock ‘n’ roll, Michael Jackson the king of pop… Who’s the king of football?Zlatan Ibrahimovic, he came like a king and left like a legend, ha ha!If you were in charge of Arsenal’s dressing room stereo, what tunes would you put on before a big game and why?They always play London Calling in the stadium before the games so I’d keep that, plus:Roots Manuva – ‘Witness the Fitness’At The Drive In – ‘One Armed Scissor’Bloc Party – ‘Banquet’Kanye West – ‘All of the Lights’Which signing got you most excited and which player’s departure broke your heart?Signing Mesut Ozil felt like a turning point. There’s plenty of choice when it comes to players leaving Arsenal, but probably Fabregas hurt the most.Which footballer would you refuse complimentary tickets to one of your gigs?Robin van Persie – the little boy inside him isn’t old enough to get in.What’s the best/worst football song ever recorded?Lots of choices for worst, but let’s go with Paul Gascoigne’s ‘Fog on the Tyne’. Best has gotta be One Day More – Transfer Day Deadline Remix…The Temper Trap’s eagerly-awaited third album Thick As Thieves is out June 10 2016. See http://smarturl.it/ThickAsThievesAlbum
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN GABRIEL – A demolition crew will begin removing debris at Emperor Elementary School today, and school officials plan to have four portable classrooms on campus Monday following suspected arson earlier this week. David Jaynes, Temple City Unified School District business manager, said he was authorized Friday at an emergency school board meeting to spend up to $1 million to demolish four classrooms damaged in the blaze and acquire temporary housing for 77 displaced first- and second-grade students. The four portables were acquired Friday from the Covina-Valley Unified School District, Jaynes said, and he was working Friday afternoon to find a trucker to bring them to Emperor on Monday. District officials are moving swiftly to recover from the Wednesday night fire that destroyed one classroom and heavily damaged three others. Joan Hillard, Temple City Unified’s superintendent, estimated the damage at $1 million. The school has more than 600 K-6 students. Sgt. Craig Anderson with the Los Angeles County sheriff’s Arson Explosives Unit was at the school Friday inspecting the ruins and taking photographs. “The investigation is continuing and we haven’t found a cause,” he said. “We believe it was arson-related and incendiary in nature.” Jaimi Harrison, the school’s community liaison, said a storage room that housed school supplies was destroyed. Jerri Williamson, the school secretary, said the school lacks a place to store donated supplies that are now pouring in, and is trying to secure a 40-foot-long storage container. “We took some items out of one room that were very stained, very soot-filled and smelly, and moved them into the cafeteria to sort them,” she said. The smoky smell was so strong that students had lunch outside on the front lawn, something they do occasionally, Harrison said. And the community has shown strong support for the school, she said. Wal-Mart has established an emergency fund for situations like the Emperor fire, and Harrison said if they qualify, the school wants to install air purifiers in classrooms near the fire, where the odor of smoke is strongest. Williamson said families and community members have so far donated $3,000. Officials at Longden Elementary School sent a truckload of first- and second-grade materials, while Oak Avenue Intermediate School officials sent a list of available furniture. [email protected] (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4475
SATURDAY night is warming up to be a barrel of laughs at the Mount Errigal Hotel when Tommy Tiernan takes to the stage.The hotel has confirmed that an incredible 950 tickets have been sold for the show.“We’ve less than 50 left,” said Carolynne Harrison from the Letterkenny hotel. “We’re all looking forward to the show, but we’ve just a few dozen left. It promises to be a great night. JUST A HANDFUL OF TICKETS LEFT FOR TOMMY TIERNAN AT THE MOUNT ERRIGAL was last modified: December 19th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Mount Errigal Hoteltommy tiernan