RSF calls for Equatorial Guinean cartoonist’s immediate release

first_img to go further February 28, 2018 – Updated on March 8, 2018 RSF calls for Equatorial Guinean cartoonist’s immediate release The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa June 15, 2020 Find out more News Equatorial GuineaAfrica ImprisonedFreedom of expression Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is relieved to learn that the prosecutor’s office in Malabo, the capital of Equatorial Guinea, has finally decided to drop charges against Ramón Nse Ebalé, a cartoonist who has been held since mid-September. RSF calls for his immediate release. Follow the news on Equatorial Guinea Equatorial GuineaAfrica ImprisonedFreedom of expression Not even coronavirus escapes Equatorial Guinea’s extreme censorship Reportscenter_img Ramón Nse Ebalé in jail for more than 5 months pending a Court statement ©AFP Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives RSF_en May 18, 2020 Find out more Organisation November 27, 2020 Find out more After more than five months in the city’s Black Beach prison, Ebalé was taken before a court in Malabo yesterday and, at the end of the hearing, the state prosecutor requested his release because of an “absence of clear evidence.” But Ebalé has not yet been freed and no date has so far been set for any further hearing in the case. Ebalé has been held since 16 September 2017 on a charge of “forging money and money laundering.” He has always denied the charge and says the real reason for his arrest was his cartoons of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo.“We call for Ramón Nse Ebalé’s immediate release,” RSF said. “The state prosecutor’s request just confirms the lack of any grounds for the charges brought against him. His detention has continued for too long.”RSF and 17 other international NGOs sent a joint open letter to the president on 15 November calling for Ebalé’s immediate release. An online campaign was then launched in December with the hashtag #FreeNseRamon.Equatorial Guinea is ranked 171st out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. News News Help by sharing this information last_img read more

Greencastle project could lead to litigation

first_img Twitter Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Pinterest Facebook Facebook By News Highland – February 9, 2010 Google+ WhatsApp The government and Donegal County Council could be on a legal collision course after it emerged that work on the Greencastle Harbour Project will cease before the month’s end.Notice will be served to staff employed on the project from next week and now questions are being asked as to who is liable for the site in the event of an accident or claim.A cross party delegation of councillors will travel to meet with the department responsible in a last ditch attempt to get the government to reverse its decision to abandon the 32 million euro project.To date just 8.2 million euro has been spent, five of which on a breakwater which may literally wash away. WhatsApp Three factors driving Donegal housing market – Robinson Previous articleMore wind farms could be on the way in scenic areasNext articleSenator says Airport road must be a priority News Highland center_img LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton Pinterest Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this week RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR News Greencastle project could lead to litigation Twitter Google+ Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Business Matters Ep 45 – Boyd Robinson, Annette Houston & Michael Margeylast_img read more