Phish Will Live Stream Their Four-Night Halloween Run In Las Vegas

first_imgPhish is providing fans with the ultimate couch tour experience this Halloween, as they’ve announced a webcast for all four nights of their run at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. The run starts this Friday, and finishes up with Phish’s highly-anticipated three-set Halloween show on 10/31.Today, the band has announced live webcast streams for each of the four shows through their LivePhish service. As always, you can choose to webcast individual shows, or purchase the whole set of four as a bundle. You can find all of the information here.Phish’s tour resumes tonight, October 24th, with a performance in Grand Prairie, TX. Stay tuned for a full recap and more after the show!last_img read more

Florida Governor Orders New York Travelers To Quarantine

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) MGN ImageTALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he is issuing an executive order mandating that anyone arriving on a flight from New York City and the surrounding area submit to self-quarantine for two weeks as he tries to avoid issuing a statewide shutdown similar to other states.DeSantis said in an address from his Tallahassee office that more than 100 such flights arrive daily in Florida and he believes each contains at least one person infected with the new coronavirus.He said he has been in contact with federal officials about curtailing such flights, but has not yet received a response. He said arriving passengers will be screened by health officials and law enforcement and told they must self-quarantine. He said those travelers will not be allowed to stay with family or friends, because that is one way the virus is spread.He did not say specifically how the self-quarantine would be enforced, but Florida law says it is a second-degree misdemeanor to violate a quarantine order that could result in a 60-day jail sentence. “It is actually a criminal offense if you violate the quarantine orders, so people can be held accountable here in the State of Florida if they buck the law,” DeSantis said.He said earlier that he spoke about the issue Sunday night with President Donald Trump, who recently changed his official residence from Manhattan to his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach.Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach in particular have a close relationship with New York City, earning South Florida the nickname “The Sixth Borough” to complement Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. Many residents are transplants from that area — New York Yankee baseball games are even broadcast on local radio. This is the time of year many transplants’ families visit.Asked about the order at a news conference, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said “I understand it. We are the epicenter.” But he said he has mixed feelings about travel restrictions in general. “I’m not sure it’s the most enlightened approach.”He noted that many Floridians have “deep, deep” ties to New York, saying, “I’m sure a lot of people in Florida are going to be put off by it.”As of Monday evening, more than 1,200 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in Florida and 17 have died, an increase of four since Sunday.State officials did not immediately return calls Monday evening seeking information on how many of those diagnosed in Florida recently arrived or returned from New York or had contact with someone who did.DeSantis also said Monday he wants to avoid imposing a statewide lockdown like California, New York and other states have done, saying he still believes targeting the counties hardest hit by the virus for the most extreme measures is preferable.DeSantis said about a third of Florida’s 67 counties have no confirmed cases and another third have few, so he doesn’t yet see the need to impose a near shutdown on their businesses that have been imposed in large counties such as Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach where the disease has spread into the community. Most of the counties with few or no infections are smaller ones along the state’s northern limits or surrounding Lake Okeechobee.“It would be a very blunt instrument. When you’re ordering people to shelter in place you are consigning a number – probably hundreds of thousands of Floridians to lose their jobs,” DeSantis said. “You’re throwing their lives potentially into disarray, and if that were something necessary statewide because the health comes first, that would be one thing. But if you look at Florida’s situation right now, this is not a virus that’s impacting every corner of the state.”He said states that have issued orders to stay home have seen large numbers of residents refusing to comply.“New York City, it’s like the party never ended — you’ve got people congregating all over the place,” DeSantis said. He said such people realize ”a governor is not going to start imprisoning people just because they leave their house.”DeSantis has ordered such statewide closures as bars and gyms and limited restaurants to takeout and delivery. Some counties have gone farther, closing not only nonessential businesses but also beaches, marinas and parks. State parks have been closed.Some Florida Democrats are calling on the Republican governor to impose a statewide stay-at-home order.The virus causes only minor flu-like symptoms in most people, who recover in a matter of weeks. But it is highly contagious and can cause severe illness or death in some patients, particularly the elderly and those with existing health problems.last_img read more

Hempstead Eyes Replacing Aging ‘Temporary’ Classrooms

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The low-performing Hempstead School District is banking on one chance to finally get hundreds of its elementary school students out of “temporary” trailers they’ve been in for more than 20 years, and into real classrooms. But it will mean that homeowners must agree to pay between $80-$239 more in property taxes annually for a few years.Approval by voters of a $46.8 million bond on May 15 would allow the district to begin a three-year capital project to demolish and replace the shuttered Marguerite G. Rhodes Elementary School. The project would open up real classrooms to between 700 and 750 students in the 2021 school year – eliminating about half the 55 portable classrooms and easing some of the overcrowded conditions in the three existing elementary schools, district officials said.Acting School Superintendent Regina Armstrong calls the approval of the bond “essential” to changing the educational atmosphere for children in a district that last year graduated about 36.7 percent of its senior class.“It’s not the learning environment the school district is okay with,” Armstrong says through a district spokeswoman. “We want to provide the most optimal learning environment for our students … the bond is essential to our getting the children out of the portable classrooms that were never intended to be here this long. It’s also crucial to helping alleviate the overcrowding (in the other elementary schools) and to stop the eyesore in the village.”The school district owns about half the trailers that provide the classrooms for up to 1,600 Hempstead elementary students, Armstrong says. The other portable units are leased by the district at a cost of $1.5 million a year.The district’s enrollment of 7,577 in the 2017-18 school year is expected to increase dramatically by 1,520 students to a total of 9,097 students in 2025. The growth is due to an influx of immigrants, officials say. Hempstead School officials expect about $28.7 million in state aid toward the $46.8 million Rhodes School capital project – $1.4 millionof which will go toward getting rid of half the modular units. That would leave a taxpayer-funded balance of $16 million, meaning a 1.59 percent increase to homeowners per year.The district’s campaign for passage of the bond vote is: “A successful May 2018 vote means a September 2021 occupancy.”Armstrong says that to have a better chance of the bond vote passing, her goal was to keep the property tax levy low for the proposed 2018-19 school budget. The proposed $215 million budget for the upcoming year carries a zero-percent increase for taxpayers. The budget, bond and two of the school board seats will all be voted on, on the same ballot on May 15.The modular classrooms date back to an even more troubling time in the district’s history. In 2005, a New York State Comptroller’s audit found that Hempstead School District spent $2.3 million to install and rent portable classrooms. This was part of $5.1 million in spending between 2002 and 2004 that the audit called “careless.” Other findings of the audit included about $1.3 million in contracts awarded without competitive bids and about $1.1 million paid to temporary employment agencies without proper approvals and without analysis of the cost-effectiveness.This, auditors said, when “school buildings were falling apart, classrooms were overcrowded, and students were being housed in inadequate, temporary classroom space.”At that time, voters had defeated the last two budgets and a proposed $177 million bond issue to rebuild several of the deteriorating schools. The approval of that would have permitted the district to build new school buildings, repair and renovate others, and eliminate the need for portable classrooms.Asked what will happen if the bond vote doesn’t pass on May 15, Armstrong says simply, “the children will continue to be educated in trailers.”The state Department of Education declined to comment for this story.last_img read more

Tunisia closes its border with Libya for 15 days

first_imgThe investigation on the attack that killed 12 Tunisian presidential guards is underway.This has been the worst attack targeting Tunisian security forces so far.Yet Tunisians found the strength to come out of their houses and fight their own way.Youssef Gaigi reports from Tunis.last_img

Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from Syracuse’s 59-45 win over Pittsburgh

first_imgAfter going into double overtime with then-No. 23 Florida State in its last matchup, Syracuse (13-6, 2-4 Atlantic Coast) struggled to get much going early against Pittsburgh (8-11, 0-6). The teams combined to shoot just 38 percent in the first half as the Orange went into the break with a five-point advantage. Syracuse eventually managed to pull away late for a 59-45 win to snap its four-game losing streak.  Here are three reactions from the game.Feel it stillTyus Battle played a season-high 50 minutes in the Orange’s loss to the Seminoles. The game actually pushed his minutes per game average in ACC play to 41.2 — more than the standard 40-minute game.TV broadcasts claimed that Battle was under the weather heading into the game. Either way, Battle was noticeably a bit weaker to start Tuesday‘s game.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textOn one play he made a move to drive baseline, but his floater weakly fell off the side of the backboard, not even reaching the rim. Later, he had a wide-open look from deep. His 3-point attempt was on line but not strong enough, barely grazing the front of the rim and falling straight down. He missed his first six shots of the game and entered the break with just four points.Halftime seemed to get Battle a little bit back on track. He was five-of-eight from the field and scored seven points in the frame. His 3-pointer out of the under-eight media timeout seemed to inject life in the Orange, which went on to open up a 10-point edge.How longFreshman Panthers guard Parker Stewart came into the game averaging just 7.4 points per game, the fifth-highest mark on the team. He’d hit 30 3-pointers in 18 games, shooting at a 36 percent clip.Stewart hit two 3-pointers within the first five minutes of the game. By the end of the night, Stewart accounted for more than half of Pitt’s offense by himself, as he knocked down seven 3-pointers and had 23 points, both career highs.Although Syracuse has been solid on defense for most of the season, this was the third time that one player has made at seven 3-pointers in a game against the Orange.New rulesThrough the first four games of ACC play, freshman point guard Howard Washington was averaging two minutes per game. It seemed like his only way on the floor was to provide a very quick breather to Howard or Battle, or if either one was in foul trouble.But against FSU he played a career-high 24 minutes and Syracuse deployed its three-guard lineup for a good chunk of the first half.On Tuesday, Washington again checked into the game early in the first half, replacing Tyus Battle who sat for a few minutes. When Battle came back, Washington stayed on, with SU again giving its three-guard lineup a look.The Orange scored five quick points when Washington was in, and the Buffalo native added two steals. But the offense stalled with the three-guard lineup in, scoring no points. On one play, it appeared that both Howard and SU head coach Jim Boeheim were frustrated with Oshae Brissett not getting into the high post properly.Washington was subbed out with 7:22 left in the first half and didn’t play the rest of the game. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 16, 2018 at 11:09 pm Contact Tomer: [email protected] | @tomer_langerlast_img read more

Davy Russell to be investigated following Tramore incident

first_imgStock photo of horse racing | Photo © Pixabay The Irish Turf Club has told the Guardian that stewards weren’t aware of the incident at the time, but it “will be followed up” in due course.Meanwhile, there are cards today at the Curragh and Tramore.The first of eight at the Curragh begins at 1.40, while they’re away at the County Waterford venue 10 minutes late.r Davy Russell looks set to be investigated by the Irish Turf Club following an incident in Tramore.Video footage has emerged of the jockey which appears to show him striking a horse in the head.The incident happened after he was almost unseated by “Kings Dolly” prior to a race on Friday.last_img read more